Skip to content

Net Metering


As part of our commitment to support renewable energy, FPUA is proud to offer net metering. Net metering is a service that permits customers to offset part or all of their electric needs with their own renewable generating systems. Net metering promotes the development of renewable energy by allowing customers to use their own generation on-site and to sell any excess generation to their electric utility. Net metering is a great opportunity to partner with our customers to bring more renewable generation to our City. More information and details regarding this program are listed in the links below.

How Net Metering Works with FPUA

Please click the image to the left to see a graphic of FPUA’s net metering process.

The meter installed for net metering at your location has two reads; one read records the electricity drawn from the grid, purchased from the utility at the full retail rate; the other read records excess electricity generated by the customer and sent back to the grid for purchase by FMPA at their wholesale rate.

Customer Agreements and Checklists

FPUA requires that customers thoroughly complete and sign the Standard Interconnection Agreement and the Tri-Party Net Metering Power Purchase Agreement prior to receiving Permission To Operate (PTO). Please review these documents carefully. These documents describe in detail the interconnection and power purchase rules and regulations for net metering with FPUA.

FPUA’s Customer Checklist outlines the process that customers go through from start to finish on net metering. Please review this document carefully before working with a renewable energy contractor.


Florida Municipal Solar Project

For customers who are unable to get net metering but would like to know what FPUA is doing to promote its renewable energy impact, please visit our Florida Municipal Solar Project webpage. FPUA is committed to providing reliable, clean energy for all its customers.

Net Metering FAQ

Please explore our frequently asked questions regarding net metering in the drop-down boxes below.

Net Metering

What it is and how it works.

What is Net Metering and how does it work?

Net Metering, or Bi-Directional Metering, is a utility billing process that offers customers who are generating Excess Energy to receive a credit on their monthly utility bill. The Bi-Directional meter will measure the flow of electricity consumed and produced by the customer. If the customer is producing more electricity than that which is being consumed, electricity will flow onto the power grid and the customer will receive a credit. If the customer is producing less than that which is being consumed, electricity will flow from the power grid to the customer for which the customer will be billed. Please review Section 4 of the Tri-Party Net Metering Power Purchase Agreement for further details.

What is Excess Energy?

Excess Energy can be defined as the electric energy that is being produced by the customer through means of renewable generation (e.g., solar, wind, etc.) that is flowing through the Bi-Directional meter to FPUA for billing credit to the customer.

Getting Started

What you need to know to get started in the net metering process with FPUA.

How do I start net metering with FPUA?

Please review our Customer Checklist for more information on our process for starting net metering with FPUA. This checklist is a step-by-step procedure on applying for, planning for and finalizing net metering with FPUA.

How do I install electric generation for net metering?

It is recommended that our customers research licensed contractors on their own to begin installing electric generation facilities on their property. FPUA does not install any electric generation of any kind for any customer. FPUA cannot provide recommendations, advice or other commentary on licensed contractors to use for customer-driven distributed generation installations.

Are there any applications I need to fill out? What is the process like?

Yes, if a customer is applying within the Fort Pierce city limits then they will need to apply with the City of Fort Pierce to get started; it is recommended that customers work with a licensed contractor to work through this application process.
There is a two-step review process with the City of Fort Pierce: Step 1 – Development Permit Compliance Review (DPCR) and Step 2 – Building Department review.
DPCR Process for Solar PV systems (Step One):
Customers can submit a completed DPCR application along with other required documentation (plans) to or they can come into the City’s office to submit.
Once entered into the system and the requested fees have been paid, the City of Fort Pierce will route the DPCR package to required departments for review. FPUA will be one of the departments reviewing this package. Once all approvals are obtained, a final approval letter and instructions to submit for a Building Permit (BP) will be emailed to the email on the DPCR application.
BP Process for Solar PV systems (Step Two):
Customers will then submit all requested documents to the City of Fort Pierce Building Department for BP review. This can be done via email or hard copies brought to the City’s office.
Once entered into the system and all requested fees have been paid, the City of Fort Pierce will route the BP package to the Building Department for review. Once approved the permit will be issued and the issued permit packet will be emailed to the customer.
For applications that are within the St. Lucie County’s limits, you will need to contact the County offices for more information.

Are there any application fees when I apply for net metering?

Under step 4 of our Customer Checklist, there are application fees if the size of the customer’s installation exceeds a certain AC kW value.

How should I size my electric generation?

The licensed contractor FPUA customers are using may reach out to us directly to get the information necessary to size the installation that maximizes cost benefit for the customer. FPUA recommends that our customers stay involved in the process with their licensed contractor and understand FPUA’s process for billing and interconnection.

Are there any incentives for installing renewable energy generation systems?

Yes, there are federal and state renewable-energy programs. FPUA recommends that the customer research these opportunities to see if they may qualify.

Billing and Credits

What to expect on your utility bill and how to read it.

How will I be billed with Net Metering?

FPUA has different retail (billing) and wholesale (crediting) rates measured in $/kWh: the kWh Usage, which is the rate at which FPUA charges customers for consumption of energy, and the ARP Renewable Generation Credit, which is the rate at which FPUA credits customers for production of Excess Energy. The kWh Usage rate is FPUA’s standard rate which can be found in the Residential or Commercial Rates page. The ARP Renewable Generation Credit is a rate that is updated quarterly from our power supplier, the Florida Municipal Power Agency (FMPA). This value can be obtained by contacting FPUA for the current rate.

How do I read my FPUA bill if I have net metering?

FPUA customers with net metering will receive a bill that shows two electric meter reads: one for the energy consumption and one for the energy production. The read with the energy consumption will show as a meter number, and the read with the energy production will show as the meter number with an “R” at the end. The graphic below illustrates what each individual field represents.

Net Metering Utility Bill

  1. Displays the type of read done on the customer meter.
  2. Displays the read of the meter. For this case, the meter registers energy consumption and the difference between the current read and the previous read is what has been consumed for the month.
  3. If necessary, a multiplier to the read of the meter. This is usually done for larger customers where energy is metered differently.
  4. Displays the read date of the meter.
  5. Displays historical energy consumption for the past 12 months.
  6. Similar to (A), but for Excess Energy.
  7. Similar to (B), but for Excess Energy. For this case, the meter registers Excess Energy and the difference between the current read and the previous read is the total Excess Energy for the month.
  8. Similar to (E), but for Excess Energy.
  9. Displays the breakdown of energy consumed for the month. For more information on this, please contact our Customer Service department.
  10. Displays the breakdown of Excess Energy delivered to the grid for the month at the ARP Renewable Generation Credit rate from FMPA (updated quarterly). This is credited to the customer’s power bill.
Will I have to pay other electric fees?

No. However, there are other taxes, charges and adjustments that are charged to all FPUA customers. This information can be found on our Residential Rates page for further details.

Does FPUA keep track of the amount of energy I produce?

No. FPUA only measures the net electric flow of energy as measured at the FPUA meter. Most renewable generator controls include a display so the owner can see the energy produced. Alternatively, a licensed contractor can install internal meters for this purpose.

Will I receive a cash payment for Excess Energy?

A cash payment is only provided when a customer meets specific conditions. If the customer produced Excess Energy but had no energy consumption (e.g., there is no billed energy to the customer on the bill, only a credit for Excess Energy sent to the FPUA grid) on the power bill continuously at the end of a rolling 12-month period, the customer will be reimbursed with a payment from FPUA. A new rolling 12-month period will begin, and another payment from FPUA will be sent if the customer has a net positive at the end of that 12-month period. This process will continue until there is no more net positive on the bill, or the customer has ceased net metering with FPUA. This is contained in the Tri-Party Net Metering Power Purchase Agreement under section 4.03.

General Questions

The below contains a list of general questions that customers have.

If I install solar with net metering, may I completely disconnect from FPUA’s electric system?

Please check with state and local code enforcement authorities prior to any disconnection of utility service while still occupying a residence. Please note that FPUA will not be able to perform any troubleshooting or power restoration activities for customers that do not have electric service with FPUA.

What happens when there is a power outage? Will I still have electric service?

FPUA requires that customer-owned renewable generation systems connected to the FPUA grid comply with UL1741 / IEEE 1547 standards requiring inverters be utility-interactive. Such systems are designed to shut down when the utility power source is de-energized to ensure the safety of FPUA line workers and prevent equipment damage. Therefore, you will not have electric service from either FPUA or the solar panels during an outage. However, battery backup systems are available which can switchover and temporarily disconnect from the FPUA grid and allow a customer to use energy stored in a battery. Please contact a licensed contractor for more information about battery backup systems.

What happens if I transfer or sell my property, is a new agreement needed?

If a customer is no longer occupying the residence or commercial building and has terminated service with FPUA, the customer’s Interconnection and Tri-Party agreements will be terminated. When a new customer occupies the residence or commercial building, new agreements will need to be signed by that customer. Please note that any modifications to the existing system between the old and new customer will need to be re-evaluated by the code enforcement authorities and FPUA prior to net metering continuing.

I am a renter, am I allowed to have net metering where I live?

If a customer is renting where net metering is desired, the customer will need to correspond with the owner of the premises to determine the course of action. Each account using net metering will need an Interconnection and Tri-Party agreement signed by the legal property owner, FPUA and FMPA.

How is net metering different from battery storage? Can batteries be used with net metering?

Technology is available today where customers can use battery storage systems to power their homes during a utility power outage. Please contact a licensed solar contractor for more information on battery storage systems and their use with net metering.

I am unsure about all the things the solar contractor is telling me, what should I know before entering into an agreement with a solar contractor?

The Florida Statutes, specifically 520.23, require that the sale or lease of a distributed energy generation system (i.e., solar, wind, etc.) shall include written statements on what to expect from the solar contractor. This includes business dealings with electric utilities. It is recommended that customers thoroughly understand their own challenges and benefits before entering into any contract to build a distributed energy generation system.

Are there any Liability Insurance Requirements for my solar panels?

Under the Customer Checklist on step 7, it is listed that “…FPUA requires Customer to maintain general liability insurance, with FPUA as additional insured for personal injury and property damage in the amount of not less than one hundred thousand dollars ($100,000) for Tier 2 and Tier 3 generators. Utility strongly recommends Customer maintain such insurance for Tier 1 generators.”

Still have questions? We are here to help!

Please fill out the Net Metering Contact form and our net metering representative will get back with you soon.